Friday, November 10, 2017

Beautiful Books 2017 ~ How's the Writing Going? - Silhouette






Time for an update on my NaNoWriMo process and Beautiful Books is the perfect thing to do that with! If you missed the first part of this three-part meme, you can check it out here and if you'd like to join the meme, you can do so on PaperFury or Further Up and Further In!

1.) Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?
I'm nearly at 18K at this point. This book is really getting me out of my comfort zone, so I can't say that writing this novel is easy this year. XD I'm hoping I'll get into the flow as I go, but writing adult and in first person is definitely pushing me, so I'm hanging in there. I'm also still working on clearing my schedule for easier writing, so I'm a little stressing right now. After this week, I should be home free! I'm also going it solo this year, so I'm not doing formal word wars, just timing myself.

2.)What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
I showed you guys the first sentence before, so now I'll show you the first paragraph.


Three more years until I get my body back. At the thought of being this close to feeling again, the gears rotate faster in my clay chest. Today will decide if I spend those years on a tropical island or a blue lava hell. I stand in my case like a doll in a shop window, the glass separating me from the grated catwalk on the other side lined with more cases just like mine. The space is barely large enough for me to stand is airtight, because I don’t need to breathe, I don’t need to sit, I don’t need to sleep. My metal and staglina clay legs don’t become tired. After five years as a silhouette it’s hard to remember what feeling tired is like. 
3.) Who’s your current favorite character in your novel?
I actually don't know yet. I'm still getting to know these characters.
 
4.) What do you love about your novel so far?
The setting is really fun. I've been wanting to write a book with stronger Asian elements for some time and now I'm finally getting to do it.



5.) Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?
Just glancing back at my last sentence I made this typo: "He always meets any new silhouettes we have int he household.” 

6.) What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?
Middles. At this point, all of the fun stuff is happening and I've gotten the hang of the characters.
 
7.) What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
I'm a night owl. I listen to music, mostly the Downton Abbey soundtrack for this book so far, and I'm trying to make a point to get out from behind my desk and try new writing spaces. Like I finally went to a Sweet Hut, a local Asian bakery franchise, to write! It has yummy Thai milk tea and moon cakes!




Moon cake. 
I'm also planning to write again at Sweet Hut then also at two other local cafes called Tiny Bubbles and Copper Coin!

8.) How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?

I like having a writing buddy, but this year I've had to go it alone since my friend isn't participating this year.


I tried going to two local write-ins but they didn't really work for me. The people ended up talking more than actually writing.

9.) What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?
I just feel like this is what I'm meant to do and I'm stubborn and refuse to break my streak of winning NaNo for the past three years.
 
10.) What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?
I give some of this advice every year so I'll try to think of three new things. XD
1.) Treat your settings like they're a character themselves.

2.) Worldbuild before you plot. You can incorporate a lot of worldbuilding elements into your plot.
3.) Have your characters do the unexpected.


Are you doing NaNoWriMo? Are you writing a novel? Are you participating in this link-up? Post your link in the comments so I can see!

You may also like:
Beautiful People #27: Cohen (Silhouette)
Beautiful Books 2017 ~ Introduce Your Novel: Silhouette
Beautiful Books 2016 ~ Novel Update: Starbloods
Beautiful Books 2016 ~ Introduce Your Novel: Starbloods
Beautiful Books: The Editing Process - Subsapien: Hybrid

No comments:

Post a Comment